The Flu and My Latest Run

Hey Friends!!  Sorry I missed last week’s recap.  It’s been a long couple of weeks.  I was finally able to start running again and then I got sick and was stuck in bed for several days.  But, it didn’t hurt my feelings too much to not be able to run since it was single digits outside!  I would rather be under my warm blanket anyways.  I’m finally feeling better and am ready to get back at it.  It also probably helps that the temps are back up close to 60! 

This recap is going to be kind of random and pieced together.  I know it’s been a couple of weeks since I did a recap, but most of that time was spent in bed and there’s nothing exciting about that.  Two Tuesdays ago (1/9) I got an email that Kayla Itsine’s BBG program was on sale for $1 for three months.  I bought it.  If you follow me, you might remember that I tried this last summer and lasted about three weeks with it.  I got bored quickly.  But, I thought I’d give it another chance.  So, I did the total body workout that night.  I worked up a good sweat and felt great.  It was tough though because I am out of shape, but I’m ready to fix that.   I also bought some new resistance bands and I tried them out.  

However, Wednesday morning I woke up with my throat on fire and a head cold.  So, there was no working out that day.  By Thursday I felt better, but not 100% yet.  But then on Friday, I woke up and it was all settled in my chest.  Since I’m prone to respiratory infections and pneumonia, I headed straight into the doctor at 8 am.  I thought I just had some congestion.  I thought wrong.  I was running a high fever and apparently had all the symptoms of the flu other than the achiness.  My flu test was negative, but my doctor said she was seeing a lot of that and wasn’t sure that I didn’t actually have it.  I was sent home with an antibiotic, Tamiflu, and my doctor recommended that I go get some elderberry juice. 

That stuff was so nasty!  But, I think it worked!  It smelled and tasted like steak marinade mixed with olive oil.  I eventually got used to it and took it three times a day for 8 days.  

I went home and still felt fine for a couple of hours and then it all hit.  It was terrible!!!  I can’t remember the last time I have been that sick.  I was in bed for three straight days with high fever and after that the feeling bad still lingered for several more days and all I wanted to do was sleep.  I slept every chance I had. 

So, fast forward to this past week – I spent the first part of the week on the couch, and Jake wouldn’t leave my side.  Every time I moved he jumped up to lick me.  

Wednesday is when I finally started feeling better.  I was craving Mexican.  We hadn’t had it in a while so we fixed some steak and chicken fajitas.  I guess I forgot to take a picture.  My brain was still fuzzy from the “flu”.

Thursday night I did a “lazy” workout while I watched tv.  I was feeling better, but I didn’t want to take a chance on getting hot and sweaty and getting sick again.  I did everything on the floor – sets of fire hydrants, donkey kicks, ab bikes, Russian twists, side crunches, and side leg lifts.  It wasn’t much, but after a week of lying around it was something. 

Friday afternoon I took Jake for a long walk. 

When Jeremy got home, we decided we were too tired to get ready to go out to dinner and we wanted to just stay in and order pizza.  We had to go get the pizza, but we could do that in our sweats!

We ended the night watching Live PD.  I was actually so tired I fell asleep way before 10!

Saturday morning we were up early.  Jeremy had some afternoon games and I stayed home to visit my family and go grocery shopping.  After I did all of that, I took Jake for another long walk and then I headed out for a run.  Jessie watched me the whole time. 

The weather was perfection.  It was 70 degrees!  I made it 2 ½ miles before I felt any pain!  I was super excited about how my run went!  I was feeling that runner’s high and I have sure missed that feeling.  I stopped as soon as I felt pain so I didn’t overdo it and walked home.

When Jeremy got home, we went to eat Mexican.  It feels like it’s been so long since we’ve gone out for it.  We shared some queso fundido.  It’s just a big plate of melty greasy goodness and I love it! 

Sunday morning Jake had me up early again.  It was so nice outside that I sat outside with him while I drank my Spark.  When we went in, I got busy cleaning my house and meal prepping.  For this week’s lunches I made chicken with roasted veggies.  I cut up chicken breasts into chunks and cooked them in a skillet in a little coconut oil.  I seasoned them with Lawry’s Everything Seasoning.  I tried out the roast setting on my air fryer and roasted some veggies.  It worked perfectly!  And, it took half the time as the oven.  I roasted zucchini, broccoli, bell peppers, and onions. 

After getting all my lunches ready and cleaning up the kitchen I laced up my shoes and headed out for another run.  It was just too pretty to stay inside. 

I barely made a half mile before I felt pain.  It wasn’t too bad so I thought I would walk for a while.  But, the little devil dog that bit me decided to chase me again.  It chased me all the way to the end of the road and I had to jump up on a fence and call Jeremy to come pick me up.   I had my pepper spray with me, but the wind was blowing so hard that I was afraid to spray it and have it end up in my eyes.  I seriously can’t stand that dog!  Here’s an old picture of it.  Don’t laugh.  I know it’s tiny, but it bites hard and he’s not as innocent as he looks!

Since I knew I wasn’t going to get to run with the dog out, and my foot was kind of hurting anyways I decided to do a strength workout instead.  I did a BBG lower body workout from the app and I was sore later from it.  You know it’s good when you’re sore!

I’ll be back to normal this week and will make sure to have a recap next weekend for you.  I hope you all have a wonderful week! 

Share this:Pin on PinterestShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

2 thoughts on “The Flu and My Latest Run

  1. Mackenzie

    — I tried to comment this on your “real life struggles” post.. but it said comments were closed! I hope you don’t mind me leaving this here.. Feel free to delete after you read since it’s not super relevant to this post… <3

    Hi lovey, I have been wondering how the holidays went for you. Gosh, thank you for being so honest in your blog.

    Ah, the first one is the worst. You are the most selfless to still even think about presents for others. I feel like I didn’t even do anything the year I was grieving. You are too kind to stilllll be thinking about others. No one expected anything. You are so strong. I admire you and want you to know that you can ALWAYS use this as your outlet. That’s how I feel too about writing, it’s a safe place for sure. Well, darlin, you made it through. Doesn’t mean the others won’t be hard too, but it will slowwwly become more “manageable” emotionally. It’s like the emotions are still there, still strong, but we learn how to take control of them. And when you don’t, that’s ok too. (This is just my experience, but could be totally different for you. <3). I send all my love.

    Also, your leggings are stinking cute & that purse… wowza. SO classy! Love.

    Sending big hugs!
    Xo <3

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Thank you so much for all of this! You have no idea how much you have helped me, and your support always comes right when I need it! Thank you for thinking of me! <3

Comments are closed.