A Fun Filled Weekend

Hi Everyone!  I’m back!

Just a quick note – this post may be a little scattered….that’s how my brain is right now!  Also, it’s a pretty long one!

I know I’ve been MIA for the past several weeks.  If you follow me on Instagram then you know why I’ve been so quiet.  I’m trying to get back to normal, or at least the “new” normal as everyone keeps saying.  I promise there is fun stuff in here.   I’m not ready to talk about everything  yet, but I wanted to say a few things.  The last month has been extremely difficult for me and my family, and I just honestly haven’t felt like writing about anything.  Usually writing is very therapeutic for me, but in this case I just didn’t know where to start or how to face it.  I’ve never experienced loss like this before.  I feel like I’ve lost a piece of me uand I don’t know how to process it.  She’s constantly on my mind, and everything reminds me of her.  I haven’t posted because I haven’t been able to think about anything else, and I don’t know what to say.  One day, maybe I can share memories of my beautiful sister with you, but I’m not there yet.  It’s hard enough to even write this.  I know it’s fine to not be okay, and every day I’m trying to be okay.  I know one day I will get there, just not yet. 

On top of that, I haven’t been doing anything at all except lying on the couch watching Netflix since I had surgery.  I could tell you about all the shows that I’ve been watching.  This weekend I wanted a distraction from it all, and it was the perfect weekend to do it.  Jeremy was umpiring the baseball state tournament in Oklahoma City and I was excited for a little mini getaway!

I decided that my first post back would be to share the activities from this weekend.  It has been the most “normal” thing I’ve done in the last month.  Before I get to that, I just want to say thank you to all of you that have reached out to me during this time.  Your support has been appreciated more than you will ever know.  I love sharing my life with all of you and getting to know you.  I’ve missed you guys and I want you to know how thankful I am that you are still here!

Let’s get started!  I’ll start with Thursday.  I had my follow up appointment with the doctor after surgery.  I got THE BEST news I’ve had through this whole ordeal!  I absolutely love this doctor!  He has been great about everything!  The doctor explained it to me that the extra bone was like having a rock between two bones and every time I took a step the bones were pushing together smashing the rock in between them.  (He circled it.)

(He explained all of this to me before surgery, but at that point I was dealing with too much to even process, so he called Jeremy to tell him.  I got to hear about all of it at this appointment.) He said now that it’s gone I will feel so much better!  He also said that by spring, and possibly as early as January, I CAN start running again!!!  In the beginning, he wasn’t sure if I would be able to run anymore.  So I was thrilled with this news!  I even questioned him about it and he said it would be fine; I’ll just have to take it slow.  My main concern/fear was that I would step on it wrong and mess something up.  He said it would be extremely hard for me to do any damage, and that once it completely heals, it will feel better than it ever has!  He said he didn’t know how I had been running with it like that for so long! 

Stitches come out!

Right now, I am supposed to be working on walking on my foot without the crutches or scooter.  It’s really sore and it feels so weird when I put pressure on it.  It’s like it’s numb and very tingly, and it’s super weak!  I have been working all weekend on trying to be able to stand on it without support.  I think I’m making pretty good progress!  He said I just have to be very patient and not overdue it.  He explained that he had to cut through…or cut around..I kind of got lost on that part…a big muscle on the top of my foot and that’s going to be very sore for a long time while it heals.  I go back in a month, and he was really optimistic that I will be done with the boot then! Hallelujah! And then, I can start light workouts. 

After the appointment, we went to celebrate the good news with lunch.  I haven’t had a burger in a super long time, and that sounded really good.  We tried out a new restaurant in Norman.  It was called Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar. 

First of all, the atmosphere and friendliness of the staff won me over as soon as we walked in the door.  It was really laid back and chill in there. 

Our waiter was super personable and helpful.  While we were waiting on our food, one of the cooks came out and noticed my crutches.  He spent probably 10 minutes at our table talking to me about my foot and then said he hoped his food made me happy!

His food made me tremendously happy!  This was one of, if not the best, burgers I have ever had.  I ordered the BD American Burger.  It had ketchup, mustard, house made cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, and pickles. 

The meat was exceptionally juicy and the bun was toasted to perfection.  I had a side of sweet potato fries which were AH-mazing! 

After lunch, we headed to get another treat.  (This was the most unhealthy day ever!  But, in my defense in the last month I have lost some weight, so I wanted to treat myself!) We went to try out Hurt’s Donuts. 

Neither of us had ever tried one before, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about them.  It was pretty hard to choose just one.  Many of the flavors sounded so good and I wished they had mini donuts so you could sample a lot of them.

I went with a caramel apple and it was divine!  Hands down, the best donut I have ever eaten!  The donut was covered in cinnamon and sugar and the apple filling tasted just like an apple pie.  If I wasn’t so full from lunch, I think I could’ve eaten three more of them!  (I showed some will power!  LOL)

Jake was stuck to me Thursday night.  He gets mad when we get bags out to pack.  It makes me feel bad.  

Jeremy had to be in OKC by 9:30 Friday morning.  I couldn’t go until later in the day, which was fine because I really didn’t want to sit at the ball games all day, and I don’t know that I could’ve gone shopping all day like I normally would.  Once I got to the hotel, I got ready and we headed to dinner with another couple.  We went to Cimarron Steak House.  I had a steak, baked potato, and a salad.  I must’ve been hungry because I ate almost every bit of it and it was all delicious! 

After dinner, we went back to the hotel and hung out in the lobby with some of the other umpires and their wives. I ate my cookie for dessert.  One of my favorite parts of staying here. 

I  was exhausted (it was only 8:30 LOL) so we ended up going to bed early.  All the officials always stay at the Doubletree.  The beds are the best that I have ever slept on!  I slept so good that night!!  This is my favorite part about staying here!  

Saturday morning we got up early and went to eat breakfast.  It’s always included in our room.  This was my first attempt. 

I took one bite of the eggs and almost spit them out!  I think it’s pretty hard to mess up eggs, but they did.  They were disgusting!  And, the pineapple was frozen.  I ate some oatmeal instead. Since I couldn’t carry anything, Jeremy fixed it for me.  It had brown sugar, dried cranberries, and cinnamon.  He did a good job! 

After that we headed to the game.  It was supposed to be played at the Bricktown Ball Park, (the dodgers minor league park) but they didn’t get the tarp on the field before it rained so it was too wet.  It was held at a local high school instead. 

The game was pretty quick, and then we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch. 

I had a snack size of the Asian Zing wings. 

We stopped at Academy on the way home.  When we got home, I parked myself on the couch, iced my foot, and fell asleep watching Live PD.  I had a fun weekend and it was good distraction to be around other people.  Today I was actually able to take a few steps without any crutches.  We went grocery shopping and walked with one crutch.  I think I’m making really good progress! I also picked up some pumpkin spiced food!

I hope you all had a great weekend!!   

Share this:Pin on PinterestShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

7 thoughts on “A Fun Filled Weekend

  1. Lesley

    I know there’s not much I can say, but I’ve been thinking about you during this time.

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Thank you for that! It really does help. 🙂

  2. San

    I’ve been thinking about you. I am so sorry that you lost your sister 🙁 it’s one of the hardest things to imagine. Take all the time in the world until you feel ready to talk about it (if ever!). <3

    On a diffferent note, I am so happy to hear that you've been recovering and that you might start running again soon. That must have been such great news for you!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Thank you ? I’m taking it a day at a time. And I am happy with how my recovery is going! I’m feeling stronger everyday!

  3. Susie

    I’m so sorry for your loss, Tara. You’ve been in my thoughts. . .(((Big Hug))
    I’ve recently started following your blog and was so happy to see your new posts on my lunch break. Wishing you all the best as you navigate this next chapter of your life.

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Thank you ? and welcome! I’m so glad you are enjoying my posts. That made my day!

    2. Profile photo of Tara


      Thank you ? and welcome! I’m so glad you are enjoying my posts. That just made my day!! And thank you for thinking of me. I really appreciate that!

Comments are closed.