Food, Fitness, and Life This Week

Hey guys!  How’s it going?  This week has been a blur.  It seriously went by so fast!  When I sat down to write this I had to look back at my pictures to try and remember what all I did all week.  But, I didn’t take very many so that didn’t help.  😉  I’m glad it’s the weekend and I have Monday off so I’m really excited about that!  I hope you all have a great week!  Here’s a recap of my week. 

I won week 5 of the wellness challenge!  (I have been in the top 2 every week except for the second one!)  I got a Walmart gift card and some headphones as my prize! 

This past week was week 6, and it is the last week that we are tracking physical activity.  I’m so glad!  I am really tired and I know it’s because I have been trying to work out twice a day.  I usually try to do a run and then some strength training or yoga, but not extra an hour of it.  So, it has been hard.  But, looking back it has helped.  I just hope my attitude about this marathon training gets better these next few weeks since I can go back to my normal routine. 

I didn’t do so great running this week, but I’m not going to let that discourage me.  I am looking forward to this next week when I can focus all my energy on just running.  Here’s what my running plan was. 

                                Mon.          Tues.          Wed.          Thurs.          Fri.          Sat.          Sun.

Plan                      Rest           3 mi            6 mi            3 mi             Rest        Rest         Half Marathon

Actual                  Rest           Cross            4 mi            4 mi             4 mi      Rest         Cross


Today started off with green tea and yogurt mixed with a half a banana and some Special K cereal.  I meal prepped for the week so I could have breakfasts and lunches for the week.  You can see what I meal prepped to eat all week here

I had planned on running today after work today because I wouldn’t get to run on Tuesday.  But, that didn’t happen.  By the time I got off work, it was pouring down rain!  It wasn’t supposed to do that until sometime during the night.  But, it came early so that ruined all of my plans.  (And Jake’s too.  He was going to run with me.)  On my break at work, my friend and I walked for 30 minutes in the building.  And, when I got home I did a Fitness Blender video and some strength training.  Jake was wound up and wanted to play outside so badly.  I let him out on the porch but he wouldn’t go out in the rain.   Right before dark it finally stopped raining so Jake and I went out and played ball in the yard. 

Our neighbor’s had a little cat and he is precious.  But, they moved and left him behind.  The new neighbors already have cats, so they don’t want to keep him, but he lives in their shed.  He has started coming over and meowing when he’s hungry, so Jeremy and I have been feeding him every day.  When the rain stopped, he came over and into our garage to let us know he was hungry.  I fed him and gave him some milk and Jake sat at the fence and whined and watched him while he ate.  Jake gets so excited and wants to get close to him.  But, the cat only likes Jake from afar!  He’s an outside cat, so I’ve decided I’m going to keep him.  (Jeremy doesn’t want a cat, but he did say this one was cute.  And, if he’s not coming in the house then we can keep him.  Now I’ve got to think of a name for him, and it would probably be a good idea to figure out if he is a he or she.  🙂  )   

Jeremy was home tonight so I fixed us breakfast for dinner.  Then, as soon as we finished eating I fell asleep on the couch.   


 Happy Valentine’s Day!  I knew today would be a busy day so I got up early this morning.  I did an ab workout and stretched for a while before getting ready for work.  I am really beginning to like starting my day like that!  Breakfast and lunch were the same as Monday. 

On my break at work, my friend and I walked again.  We got in about 25 minutes.  Then, when I got home, I did a pilates video before heading with Jeremy to his games.  I wore my new Pointe One Miles shirt!  (It was festive with a heart on it.)

We got home around 11 and I was starving!  I fixed one egg with spinach, a piece of toast, and a leftover turkey sausage link from Monday night’s breakfast.  Then I fixed Jeremy some dinner and went to bed! 


This was a rough morning for me.  Jake had to go to the vet and have a minor surgery.  I know it wasn’t a big deal, but I was still really nervous.  He had a pretty big knot come up on his shoulder and it kept getting bigger so they had to remove it.  And, since they were going to have to knock him out, we decided to have his teeth cleaned too.  I just felt bad for him.  He got up when I did and he was wanting a treat and something to eat and he couldn’t have either.  He just laid in front of the pantry wanting his food.  🙂

We dropped him off at 8:30, and I had a hard time leaving.  🙁  I was a nervous wreck at work all day.  I was so worried about him.  I knew the surgery wasn’t a big deal, but I was worried about him waking up and being scared and we weren’t there.  And I was worried about what they would find when they got the tumor out.  (Thankfully it was not cancerous and everything looked okay!)  We were able to pick him up at 3:30 and I was so happy to see him.  I thought he would be kind of groggy, but he was wound up.  He had to have some stitches but he didn’t seem sore at all.  They gave him a shot for the pain that would last 24 hours, but the next day he didn’t act like he was hurting at all. 

We got him home and Jeremy had to go back to work for about an hour.  I sat with him and he ate two bowls of food and drank 2 bowls of water.  He was still a little loopy, but he did not want to lay down.  When Jeremy got home, I headed out for a run and I was half way through it when Jeremy and Jake came walking down the road.  Jeremy said he wouldn’t quit whining.  We walked Jake and then I finished my run.  After his walk, he finally went to bed. 

Since Jeremy had games on Tuesday night, we celebrated Valentine’s tonight.  He cooked some steaks and baked potatoes and I made salad.  He cooked 2 ribeyes and some deer steaks.  We shared a ribeye and it was amazing!  Jeremy cooked it perfectly!  The deer steaks, however, were way too salty to eat.  We tried a new marinade and we won’t be using that again.  After dinner we spent the evening watching TV.  It was a quiet night, but it was just what we needed! 


 Jeremy stayed home with Jake all day today while I worked.  We were worried that he might need some pain medicine or start messing with the stitches.  But, he was fine all day.  Jeremy said he was really hyper!  As soon as I got off work, I headed home to take over so Jeremy could go referee.  Jake was still really wound up.  I took him on a long walk so he would sleep while I went to run.  I got in a quick 4 miles and then headed home to check on him.  While he slept, I did a circuit workout and then stretched. 

I fixed a spinach omelet and toast for dinner.  Jake slept most of the evening, so I caught up on the Bachelor and some other shows. 


Today I had blueberry protein Kodiak cakes for breakfast.  They are my favorite! 

At lunch, one of my friends that I eat lunch with everyday told me that she doesn’t know how I eat the same thing for lunch every day each week.  I told her that I eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and usually dinner every day!  🙂  I know that’s random, but it made me laugh.  I never thought about how I do pretty much eat the same thing every single day.  

After work I was planning on running my long run and getting it over with so I could relax all weekend.  I had some Spark and started out.  I made it 4 miles and decided to call it quits.  While I am disappointed that I didn’t get it done, I am proud of myself for listening to my body.  This is probably the first time ever that I have done that.  (I know, I know it’s stupid not to listen.)  I hadn’t even gone a mile before I had to stop and walk.  It just seemed like everything was wrong.

 My body felt like I had been run over by a bus!  It was all because of my shoes.  I waited too long to order some new ones, so by the time I realized that mine were worn out, I’m having to wait on the new ones to get here.  Seriously, mine are missing tread! (I will track the new ones with my gear tracker on my Garmin app.)

Ever since my long run last Saturday, my shins and my back have been hurting.  My runs during the week weren’t great, but they didn’t hurt as much as it did today.  Every time I landed, I had a sharp pain up my right leg and into my back, and in my left shin and calf.  It was miserable.  So, instead of really injuring myself, I decided to walk back to my car and do this run when my new shoes get here.  

When I got home, I took Jake for a walk and then I headed to the grocery store.  Jeremy had to referee and I decided to stay home and do the grocery shopping and then do workout video since I didn’t have much of a run.  

I had to go to Wal-Mart and Aldi.  I wish one of them had everything that I need.  

I bought some Epsom salt and soaked in a bath when I got home.  That helped my legs and back tremendously!  Later, instead of a workout video I ended up stretching for a long time.  I brought Jake some toys from the store and he played with them while I stretched.  

For dinner I fixed a veggie omelet with onions, peppers, and spinach.  I ate it with a side of turkey sausage and toast.  

I flipped through the channels until Jeremy got home and then I read a book until I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer.  


I slept until 10:30 today!  That is unusual for me!  I didn’t even wake up at 5:00, like I do every other day of the week.  Breakfast was some yogurt, fruit, and cereal.  (in my favorite mug!) 

I spent the afternoon with Jeremy out at our land.  He was fencing off where a feeder is going to go. I helped some, but mainly just watched.  

When we got home, I took Jake for a long walk.  When it’s 70 degrees outside, you stay out!  

After Jake’s walk, there was a box on the porch.  I love when I get stuff in the mail!  I can’t wait to try the Slim.  It’s supposed to give me energy and control my appetite.  I’ll let you guys know how it works.  

Jeremy had to referee again Saturday night and I stayed home with Jake.  He finally has started messing with his stitches.  I guess they must be itching because he won’t quit trying to scratch them.  

I decided to clean my house!  I was planning on doing it Monday while I am off work, but since I was home I thought I would get it over with.  We had a visitor all day and night too.  Jake is so happy about it.  

It is now hanging out on top of Jake’s dog house on our back porch.  I put it back over the fence twice but it still kept coming back.  As long as it doesn’t scratch Jake it can stay.  🙂  And, Jake sat and whined all night because he wanted to go outside to see the cat.  

When the house was clean, I did some yoga and a little strength training and soaked in another epsom salt bath.  It is helping so much!  

Dinner was breakfast again.  I love it!  But, when Jeremy got home he wanted to go to Applebee’s to get himself some dinner.  I had a piece of his quesadilla.  


Today started with some yogurt, fruit, and cereal.  

We were going to do some yard work and burn a big brush pile, but when we got up it was misting really heavily and there was a huge chance of rain.  So, instead I decided to work out.  I had some Spark and this packet of nuts before my workout.  

Since I didn’t get to run my long run this weekend, I wrote out a tough circuit workout.  When I finished, I was DEAD!  Seriously, my arms were shaking trying to take this pic.  

I know I will be sore tomorrow! 

Total Body Circuit Workout

Right before dark Jeremy decided he wanted to try and burn a stump, so he got a little fire going.  

Of course that meant that I had to have some marshmallows!  

Right now I’m headed to do my weekly meal prep.  

I hope you all have a great week!

For this weekly update I’m linking up with Holly of HoHo Runs and Tricia of MissSippiPiddlin for their Weekly Wrap. 

I am also linking up with a Sunday Fitness and Food Linkup hosted by:

Ilka from Ilka’s Blog and

Angela from Marathons & Motivation


Do you like roasting marshmallows?

Share this:Pin on PinterestShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

24 thoughts on “Food, Fitness, and Life This Week

  1. Lacey@fairytalesandfitness

    Congratulations on placing first in your wellness challenge. They are some great prizes. So glad to hear Jake is ok and yay for no cancer! I would have been a mess too during the waiting time. Maybe him and the cat will end up being friends. Some how I think Jake would be a bit more friendlier than the cat. Must be a lab thing:)

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Lol yes he is. The cat isn’t very sure of him. He just wants to get right in it’s face.

  2. Kimberly Hatting

    I’m typically not much a marshmallow person, but I do like roasted marshmallows…burnt, just like they’re pictured LOL

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      That’s the only way to eat them!! 🙂

  3. Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner

    Looks like a great week of yummy eats and workouts. I have to always look back on my photos as well-good thing we take so many!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      It is such a good thing that we take so many pictures! I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast on a normal day. LOL

  4. Nicola @ Running Happy

    Glad Jake is okay and has recovered quickly. It’s awful when animals are sick, such a worry.

    Hope your new shoes arrive quickly. I’ve got to get some new ones too but I’ve not had time to go to a shop and try them on yet!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Yes it is. I hate that they can’t tell you what’s wrong. 🙁 I am bad about not getting new shoes in time. The closest place that sells them to me is 2 hours away. I’ve got to get better at tracking them!

  5. Heather @ Polyglot Jot

    Glad Jake’s okay! Sounds like a healthy and lovely week! We are having some lovely February weather in PA too–I hope it stays that way 😀

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      I hope it stays this way too! It was 75 degrees today! I love it!

  6. Tricia @ Misssippipiddlin

    I’m so glad Jake is ok and it’s nothing serious!
    I love my marshmallows just like yours burnt! In fact last night was the first smores I’ve had since being at the campground this time around! I’ve so missed them too!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Burnt is the only way to eat them! I haven’t had a smore in forever!

  7. Ilka

    Hi Tara! I hope Jake is recovering well from his surgery! Yes, it’s funny how sometimes we don’t remember what we have done all week, until we actually sit down and try to write it all down. I think that’s a beautiful thing about running logs, it gives us time to reflect on things and see what worked in our training and what didn’t.
    So true about grocery shopping – why can’t here be one store that has it all? I stop by so many different stores throughout the week until I have what everybody wants and needs in my house:)
    Love the Running shirt!!
    Your week might not have gone as initially planned, but you still ran a few 4 milers. That’s awesome and it definitely helps you maintaining your running fitness.
    Congrats on another Wellness week win! Well done!
    Have a great week Tara!!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      I love keeping a running log! It does help so much in seeing what I actually did that week, and in the weeks prior. I love being able to compare. It would be so awesome if there was just one store where you could buy everything! LOL

  8. HoHo Runs

    Congratulations on winning week 5 of the Wellness Challenge. You’ve been working very hard! I like Skull Candy earbuds too. I think Jake and the new cat will learn to be huge friends! I’m glad to hear Jake’s surgery went well. I would be a nervous wreck all day if one of my dogs was having surgery too! Breakfast for supper is one of my favorite meals. Thanks for linking, Tara!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Thank you! I hope Jake and the cat learn to tolerate each other. 🙂 I really like the cat but I don’t want it to scratch Jake.

  9. Lesley

    Nothing makes me more nervous than thinking of Allie under anesthesia for a teeth cleaning. She was thankfully spayed before I got her because I don’t think I could’ve worked that day. I would’ve beeen pacing until I got the phone call that she was OK.

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      It was so nerve wracking! I did not want to do it, but I know it had to be done. Thankfully it all went okay!!

  10. Zebra Girl

    Coming to you via the Sunday Fitness and Food Link-up. Oh your poor pup! I bet he wasn’t feeling well! Hope he is doing better! Love Kodiak Cakes…just discovered them recently and they make pancake mornings so much better.

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Hi!! Thanks for stopping by! Jake is doing so much better! I love Kodiak cakes! I can’t ever get enough of them!

  11. Mackenze

    Aww poor pup. Ya’ll are good parents though. That sweet potato looks amazing and every time I see you make those Kodiak cakes I keep meaning to get some! They look so tasty! I also LOVE that coffee mug. So cute! And now I’m craving s’mores! Thanks for sharing your week with us. I love reading your updates!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      🙂 i can’t even imagine how I’ll be with a real child. Lol. I’m a little overprotective of Jake! You have got to get some kodiak cakes! They are delicious!!

  12. Angela

    Sounds like another great week! i love all your pictures and yummy food. Thanks for sharing at Sunday Fitness & Food 🙂

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Aww thanks!! Thanks for hosting! I love the link up!

Comments are closed.