Weekly Workouts and a Charity Walk

Hey guys!  How was your week?  Mine was a pretty good, but it was a little rough.  After being sick and not running for a week, coming back this week was a little difficult.  But, I managed and made it through.  I just really could have used a little more energy! 

This week I did some serious thinking about this marathon training.  I’m not as into it as I was starting out, or as I was last year.  Last year I was very excited about it and was very driven to do it.  I’m not even half way through it yet, and I’m starting to second guess my decision to do it.  I’m trying not to make any decisions yet, and wait until I get some more longer runs under my belt.  I don’t want to drop down to the half already, but I am exhausted.  I am hoping it is just from being sick and not getting much sleep, but I’m just not very excited about training this week.  I have actually been dreading doing my workouts and have had to force myself to get them done. 

I am also wondering if this attitude and exhaustion is coming from doing two workouts a day.  And, I have been working out 7 days a week.  (Some of those days are just light yoga and walking, but still…) I want to get my points for the challenge, but I think it may be wearing me out to do two hours a day.  At first I was just doing an hour and forty minutes, but I have a tough competitor in the challenge so I have upped my workouts to two hours a day so I can earn all the available points each day.  I know that is playing into me being so tired.   However, I can tell a difference in my runs from all the extra workouts.  I do feel so much stronger!  I am going to keep thinking about this, or actually I may try not to think about it and just do it!  I’m going to stick with it for a few more weeks before I make a decision.  Hopefully I will snap out of this and get excited again….if not, I’ll do the half.  I talked with my friend Marie (thelazyw.com) and she was kind of in the same boat I am.  It was nice to talk to someone who is feeling the same way.  We are on the same week of training and are training for the same race.  Or maybe the same half! 🙂

Here’s a look at my training plan for the week and what I did in terms of running:

                                Mon.          Tues.        Wed.      Thurs.       Fri.           Sat.           Sun.

Plan                       Rest            3 mi          6 mi        3 mi         Rest        12 mi       Cross

Actual                  6 mi           3 mi              4.8 mi     Rest         Rest        12 mi         Cross


Today I hit snooze for the first time in forever!  I was so tired from the weekend and did not want to get up.  But, once I got up and got going I was fine.  Breakfast was a blueberry Kodiak cake and a side of steamed broccoli. 

I have to have greens to get my points for the challenge.  I made some steamed broccoli and ate it every day this week with breakfast.

I didn’t do a meal prep this week because we weren’t home long enough on Sunday and I just ended up eating up what I had in the fridge.   Lunch every day was a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, spinach, Swiss cheese, and mustard.  I also had an apple and some blueberries. 

After work I had some Spark and then headed out for a run.  I ran at the park today and it was a little tough since I hadn’t run in a week. 

The wind was blowing hard, but the sun was shining and it was 78 degrees!  Why can’t every February be this warm?!  When I got done running, I headed home to get Jake and take him for a walk.  We walked for a long time!  He was loving the weather as much as I was.  We stayed out until it was almost dark. 

After our walk, I did some strength training.  I did a Fitness Blender ab video, some squats, lunges, and the 100 ab workout that I made up.  My abs were on fire! 

Jeremy was refereeing so Jake and I were on our own for dinner.  We had some scrambled eggs with spinach and salsa and a side of whole wheat toast. 

Then we watched the Bachelor and shows on the DVR until Jeremy got home.  (We’ve been hooked on Rules of Engagement.  This show is hilarious!)

I stayed up to fix Jeremy some dinner when he got home so it was after 11 before I got to bed.  I just need some sleep!!!!


I was so tired today and hit snooze again.  I hate doing that!  I really like getting up early.  But, today I hit snooze until the absolute last minute that I could! 

Breakfast and lunch were the same as Monday, except I had some mango and blueberries. 

I had an apple for a snack before I ran.  I felt like a zombie all day at work!  I could not wake up and didn’t have any energy at all.  But, I didn’t let that stop me from running.  I had some Spark and that gave me enough energy to get my workouts in.  I honestly didn’t want to run at all and I came up with every excuse that I could think of not to.  But, the Spark helped.  I ran 3 and then I walked for 30 minutes. 

After my walk, I took Jake for a walk.  It was so nice outside!  I was able to wear shorts and a tank!  I just can’t get over this beautiful weather.  When Jake and I were done I had to make a quick trip to the store to pick up a couple of things.   Then I did some strength training when I got home.   I really had to force myself to do it. 

After my workout, I showered, fixed some dinner, and parked myself in the recliner for the night.  Jeremy was refereeing again and I fell asleep sometime around 8 and didn’t wake up until he got home around 10.  I talked to him for about 5 minutes before going right back to sleep. 

Dinner was an omelet with spinach and Swiss cheese and a side of whole wheat toast with sugar free peach jelly. 


When I woke up today I felt more energized than I had the last two days!  Breakfast was Greek yogurt, berries, chia seeds, and Special K cereal.  I ended up having a mid morning snack of carrots and hummus.  Lunch was the same as Wednesday. 

Before my run I had some Spark and a Larabar for some energy.

  I was planning on running straight from work, but it was a little colder outside than I had planned for so I had to go home to get some more layers. 

When I got home I found a box on the porch.  I am so excited!!  I have partnered with Kodiak cakes as an ambassador and will be trying out these products and reporting to all of you.  I can’t wait to try the dark chocolate! 


I bundled up and ran around my neighborhood.  I got in almost 5 miles.  I was planning on 6, but it got cut short. 

I was running by my father-in-law’s and noticed Jessie was running and bucking and acting nuts.  So I ran over there to see what was wrong and found that the neighbor’s two little dogs had dug into her pen and were chasing her.  I’m surprised that they didn’t get trampled! 

I called Jeremy to come help me and I got Jessie out of her pen and into the back yard.  Then I had to try and catch the dogs.  They were both so scared.  One of them was a little blue heeler puppy and she was really cute.  She came to me, but the other one wouldn’t.  I couldn’t get them to go back under the fence, so I finally picked up the heeler and carried her home and the other dog followed.  Jeremy and his dad had to fix the fence and while they did that I went home and got busy power cleaning my house!  Our family was coming over Thursday night to celebrate Jeremy’s birthday so I had to get it clean. 

When I got all of that done, I did a Fitness Blender yoga workout.  Check out my new yoga mat!  It was my prize for winning week 3 of the wellness challenge!

Dinner was a black bean chipotle burger and steamed broccoli. 


 Today was a busy day!  I woke up early and started the day with some blueberry yogurt topped with a banana and some Special K cereal.  Lunch was the same as the rest of the week. 

I had a really busy day at work.  Work this week has been really draining!  It probably didn’t help that I started the week tired…  I knew that I wouldn’t have much time after work, so I used my break time to get in some strength training.  My walking partner was home sick or I would have walked.  As soon as I got off work I headed home to bake Jeremy’s cake.  He wanted German chocolate.  My cupcake toppers that I ordered for his cupcakes finally came in this week.  I tried to send them back and get my money back since they weren’t here in time, but the seller refused to do a refund.  They said that when I ordered the website told me that it could take 7-10 days for them to get here.  I tried to tell them that I ordered them on Jan. 23rd and they didn’t get here until Feb. 7th.  But, that didn’t matter.  Oh well, it looked cute on the cake. 

Before dinner I had time to do a Fitness Blender video. 

We went out to dinner at one of Jeremy’s favorite Mexican restaurants.  It was good and I felt like I ate way too much! Jeremy and I shared some enchiladas.  After dinner, we all headed over to our house for cake and a few presents.  Jeremy got some gift cards to Academy, which is his favorite gift ever! 

Then we ate cake and watched the Thunder play.  When everyone left, I went straight to bed.  I could barely keep my eyes open. 


I got up early today and did a Fitness Blender video before work.  Then I had some blueberry Kodiak cakes.  Lunch was the same as the rest of the week and I had some carrots and hummus for a snack. I got off work early on Friday, so I did a circuit workout before going with Jeremy to his games. 

When we got home I fixed some eggs with spinach and toast for dinner and then I went to bed.  I had an early morning on Saturday!


My alarm went off at 5:30 this morning.  I almost turned it off and went back to sleep, but I knew if I did that I wouldn’t get my run in.  I drug myself out of bed and ate some Kodiak cakes for breakfast and drank some Spark. 

I got ready to go and headed out before I could change my mind.  I got to the park and waited until about 7:10 when it was light to start my run.  My run started out great and was going by really quickly.  I made a quick pit stop halfway and then pushed on!  

It wasn’t until about mile 9 that I even started to want to slow down.  But, I had to be finished by 9:15, so I kept going.  On my run, I saw this adorable lady walking laps in her yard.  She had on pj’s and slippers and two curlers in her hair. 

I got back to my car right after 9 and got a drink while I waited on my friends to get there.  We were all meeting at 9:15 to do a charity walk for the American Heart Association.   

The walk was a 5K and there was a ton of people there!  Our team raised a little over $250 dollars.  (I can’t remember the exact amount.)  We had a lot of fun walking and talking.

After the walk, I headed home and Jeremy and I took Jake and Jessie for a walk.  Jessie loves to go too.  She’s just like a big dog!  If Jake didn’t walk right beside her or in front of her where she could see him, she would stop and look for him.  We actually walked her down to the pasture so she could hang out there for the day. 

Around 3 we left to go to Jeremy’s games.  Playoffs started and Jeremy got sent two hours away this week, so I rode with him so he didn’t have to go alone.  We were about 20 minutes from the high school and were passing the local junior college.  They were playing baseball and Jeremy recognized the umpire so he turned around and pulled through the parking lot.  I noticed my best friend’s husband was standing next to the concession stand!  We got out and went in to find them and visited for a minute.  (He’s a baseball coach and they were there watching some old players.) 


Jeremy’s games were at a tiny gym in the middle of nowhere and they were not great games.  I had something happen that has never happened to me ever!  First off, it really gets on my nerves (like really bad!!) when I find a place in a corner on the top row to sit by myself and people come and sit right next to me.  Especially when there are a million other seats in the gym.  But, tonight, they not only came and sat next to me, they sat on me!!  I was sitting up against the wall and a kid (and by kid I mean probably 13-14 years old) actually sat halfway in my lap trying to squeeze in next to his friends!  And, he didn’t move off of me!  So, I moved to the other side.  The crowd was more entertaining than the games.  Both sides yelled the whole time.  At first it was just at the referees and players, but then they started yelling at each other!  A woman was yelling at the players and another woman from the other side yelled at her to shut up, and then she yelled back that they could go outside, and it escalated from there.  (rolling eyes here)  No one ever went outside, but it was quite comical! 




All I wanted to do today was rest!  I felt like I hadn’t had much sleep at all in the past week, so I just wanted to rest.  But, that didn’t happen.  When we got up, I rode with Jeremy to drop off some stuff at our hunting land.  We spent a long time out there moving stuff and taking stuff down.  Then, we went to look at a couple of new jobs and to the grocery store.  When we finally got back home, I got busy with my weekly meal prep.  That took about an hour, and I took Jake for a walk. 


Once we got home, I helped Jeremy with some things outside, and then I headed in to do some yoga.  My legs were pretty sore from Saturday.  


I finally sat down around 8, and I started this post.  Then, I got up and fixed us some dinner.  We had grilled chicken sandwiches and we watched Caribbean Life until bedtime.  I really want to move to the Bahamas now!! 


I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine’s Day and a great week!  I’ll be back Wednesday with my meal prep post. 


For this weekly update I’m linking up with Holly of HoHo Runs and Tricia of MissSippiPiddlin for their Weekly Wrap. 

I am also linking up with a Sunday Fitness and Food Linkup hosted by:

Ilka from Ilka’s Blog and

Angela from Marathons & Motivation

Share this:Pin on PinterestShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

8 thoughts on “Weekly Workouts and a Charity Walk

  1. Ilka

    Hi Tara! Those temps in February are such a tease, aren’t they? Your marathon training sounds almost just like mine. My foot pain has not gone away and anything over 7 miles puts me in tremendous pain and I’m tending towards to postpone my marathon. Clearly not an easy decision. I’m sure you will make the right decision on what’s best for you and your body! You had a great training week though. Congrats on your team raising $250!
    Happy Birthday to Jeremy!
    Have a great week Tara!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      These temps are a tease. Today it was 38! But tomorrow it’s supposed to be 67! Just pick one already – and preferably the warm one! lol I hope your foot heals soon. That is a tough decision to have to make. I hope you have a great week too!

  2. HoHo Runs

    Working out seven day a week AND doing two-a-days? You are a machine! I know you want to get all the points, but I think no matter what activities you are doing–you need a day of rest. Your body needs a day to adjust to the heavy demands you are placing on it. Just my two cents. Of course, you are a lot younger than me and can probably handle it. 😉 I’ve got to try those Kodiak Cake mixes. Thanks for linking, Tara!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      It’s starting to catch up to me. I am feeling exhausted! I am going to start cutting it back and hope that helps my running! I always appreciate your two cents! 🙂 Yes you do need to try the Kodiak cakes! They are amazing!

  3. Angela @marathonsandmotivation.com

    Way to get it done! Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up 🙂

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      Thank you!! Thanks for hosting! 🙂

  4. Tricia @ Misssippipiddlin

    I hope your training will turn around for you. But it not being fun is serious. Marathon training is hard enough you do need to have enjoyment in it even if it’s hard.
    Change some things up and then revisit your decision. The lack of sleep could very well be the culprit!
    Take your rest days serious as well. We may feel good but our bodies do need rest.
    Thanks Tara for linking up!

    1. Profile photo of Tara


      I totally agree. I’m not enjoying it so I don’t want to do it. I’m hoping that these next couple of weeks will change that. If not, I’ll be looking at the half instead of the full.

Comments are closed.